Sunday, July 26, 2009

Love takes Practice

(this is in continuation of my What is Love? series)

Every expert, or master, or professional started out as an amateur. Yes, even me; I was a bumbling, stumbling idiot in my first few relationships. Let me reassure you: Everyone can become a master of Love and Get the Love they deserve if they just start practicing today. If it is important to you, you have to start practicing and going through the process of success and failure.

As a good friend of mine is fond of saying, “In victory I learn little, but in defeat everything.” So too is it with Love. I learned (and so should you) from the many, many, many mistakes I made in relationships, and I have the advantage of being able to tap into the metaphysical, and get guidance from the astrological plane, but still I had to learn some things the hard way. In addition, my 15 plus years of counseling individuals through the pain and anguish of breakup, heartache and often reconciliation in love relationships has helped refined my skills and knowledge to a point of where I KNOW what a person in love will do even BEFORE they do it. Of course, personally I had a choice on what to do concerning the pain and anguish I went through in my failures. I could have committed myself to become a master of Love (where I could then help others), or I could have become fearful, jaded, bitter, scared, and cloistered my heart against any pain of feelings I might have experienced now and in the future. I choose to be a master of Love.

To become this master, I had to take a good look at myself and then ask what do I really Want (as opposed to just what I needed) in life and love (see my blog about Need v. Want). Once I did that, I was determined to develop the skills and knowledge to get what I wanted, not just what I needed. I had to practice every day, and little by little I started to understand and develop a skill set that allowed me to recognize love and be able to love fully and completely another person. It was sometimes hard, but the best part is when you really love someone, and they truly and completely love you back, it is like being in rapture. It is just totally the most out of this world feeling you will ever experience. As you both take that climb into a higher plane of existence, the feeling of joy grows, strengthens and catapults you to a totally new state of being. To most people, this is an alien and foreign world, but one I hope I can guide many people towards.

OK, just telling you to practice is not quite enough; I need to give you some how-tos as well. First, after your have sat down and figured what you want to give and get in a loving relationship (To help with this, please reference my Need v. Want blog), make a list of affirmations and recite that list every day until you can commit it to memory. This will start pointing your whole psyche towards the positive aspects of love and yourself. Next, go to the library or book store and start reading on topics dealing with successful love techniques. Yes, READ! Now (this is mostly for the girls out there). DO NOT JUMP INTO BED with anybody on the 1st, 2nd, or 5th date, and TALK about it to him first about how important it is to get to know each other first. If he is ONLY interested in sex he will run away (and good riddance), but if he is interested in YOU he will stick around. I do not care how cute, rich, handsome, etc he is, if you want to win at love, you need to play by the rule of keep away. Guys HAVE to invest in the relationship (remember your affirmations) in order to see value in YOU and the RELATIONSHIP. Men do not equate sex with love, thought they will say they do, the do not! Anything gained easily is easily lost. Work on friendship first, and fan the fires of passion along the way.

Tip number one for when you get into a relationship: Focus on the positive in him, you, and the relationship. EVERYONE has warts, and if you keep looking at them, that is all you are going to see. Most relationships fail because one person constantly brings up one item that irritates the hell out of the other person, and usually that one thing is NOT very important in the scheme of things. Women, Whine is a thing best served with cheese and is not the best form of communication and is something that will not win his heart or affection. I have known several extremely beautiful, accomplished women who could not stop whining, and hence could never fathom why they could never maintain a healthy, happy, loving relationship. Guys, learn to ask questions about the lady you are with OTHER than her physical attributes. Find something, anything that you two might share an interest in. Tip guys; woman really want to be appreciate for something other than their body, an it usually rest between their ears (it is neither their earrings, hair or their eyes).

Just as when I was practicing martial arts, the more I stayed at it the better I got. The more confidence and skill I was able to retain. Love is an Art form, very much like self-defense. It can both protect you and make you strong. It gives you balance and strength. It both soothes, and stresses. It is a cosmic force and an inner peace. Training for Love will eventually yield huge dividends. Love takes practice and therefore demands action. Usually the best way to put it is when you were young and started playing sports, you had practice, and coaches, and scrimmages, and more practice, coaching, games, successes and failures and once you got better at it, it became eventually easier to do. And when you started playing, you dreamed of becoming a pro, and winning that national championship (Stanley Cup, World Series, Masters, etc.). You set a goal and started going for it. Even though you might not become a pro, you got very good at whatever sport you were in. Now ask yourself, in the most important “sport” of your life, how much practice, coaching, and training have you done to increase your chances of success then change your behavior accordingly. Remember Love is a team sport. IF the partner becomes defensive, lower your voice, take some space, and give yourself some distance. If they truly love you they will come back, if not then they are not ready to love.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Joan, what a great post about "practicing" love. I would have never thought about it that way at all. I especially like the analogy you use with guys and sports. You should do something with that since guys seem to understand playing with balls more than just about anything else. You are really kind opening yourself up like this and letting us understand the process of getting to a higher level of love. Thank you! BTW, yes, I do whine a little now and then too, and will endeavor to try to refrain from that sort of behavior. A big fan! Karen

Anonymous said...

Exactly. This is what I tell my boyfriends all the time. You just cannot expect to be a great lover if you do not dedicate some time to mastering what it is a woman wants! Are guys that dense? Maybe so. Keep up the good work Joan!

Diana said...

Joan, is there a school for this? I just broke up with my boyfriend, and after reading some of your other posts, thought it would be a good one to comment on. Yes, love does take practice and it hurts so much when your partner does NOT want to pull his weight as part of the team. Still, I know I am better off without him, and your postings give me some comfort. Still, it is tough being alone.

Candice said...

Joan, thank you for sharing this. It is amazing that even someone like you, with all your experience makes mistakes too? Love your posts? I see a lot of people asking about a book and you mentioned you are writing one! Any idea when you plan on finishing it or making some of it available on line?

Terri said...

Wow, never would have thought that psychic would be so deep into matters of real practical love such as practicing it. Good advice on this post about practicing. I agree with Candice's post. WRITE A BOOK! and help everyone out!

Rev. Lynn DeLellis said...

Very good advice. I read somewhere that the biggest reason for a relationship to fail is criticism. When you first meet your love, they are perfect in your eyes, but when you come down from the cloud and see them as real human beings, you can begin to pick at little things and with time that gets worse. That same article interviewed couples who had been together 2o years or more and they said that their secret was to see the faults of their partner as cute or eccentric and consider them endearing.

Patricia, Canton, OH said...

Wow, I cannot believe how true this is! I played sports in college and always wondered why guys who practice 20 to 30 hours a week could not even put in the effort to make a relationship last! Wow, someone should develop a training regiment for love? I know how much work it takes, but when you find that true love, man-o-man is it worth it. The benefits are out of this world!